Dr Cleghorn completed a degree in dietetics in South Africa in 1998 and moved to the UK in 1999. She decided to specialise in paediatric dietetics as she found working with children very rewarding.
Dr Cleghorn started working at Great Ormond Street Hospital in 2005 and for the past 10 years has worked with children with kidney disease. She leads a team of three renal dietitians and belongs to a national renal dietetic interest group. She is committed to improving the care of the children in a range of ways. She discusses clinical cases, produces resources for children and their families (English and Arabic) and advises on new nutritional product developments. Dr Cleghorn also provides education and training for health care professionals working within the UK and abroad to ensure best practice in the nutritional management of kidney disease.
Dr Cleghorn’s aims for treatment are to provide adequate nutrition, optimise growth, control biochemistry (blood levels of phosphate, parathyroid hormone, potassium, and urea) and reduce long term morbidity.
She was a member of the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Guideline Development Group for the development of the hyperphosphatemia guidelines in chronic Kidney Disease (published in March 2013 and available online).
- Chronic kidney disease
- Phosphate management
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Renal transplantation
- Tube feeding and infants with renal disease
- December 1998: Bachelor of Science Degree in Dietetics, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Health Professions Council, registration number: DT07499
- British Dietetic Association membership number: 7272
- Member of the Paediatric Group of the BDA
- Member of the Paediatric Renal Interest Nutrition Group (), sub-group of the Paediatric Group of the BDA (Chair of the group 2009-2013)
- Member of the BDA Renal Nutrition Group (RNG)
Relevant Lecturing and Teaching:
- Presented at the 1st, 2nd , 3rd and 5th International Paediatric Renal Dietitians Meetings held from 2013-2017 on various aspects of renal disease
- Lectured in Kuwait on the Paediatric Renal Dietetic Module to a group of 15 dietitians from 30th April to 1st May 2014
- Lectured on the International Paediatric Nephrology Course at the Institute of Child Health, UK in 2011, 2013, 2016 (lecturing to doctors)
- Lectured and ran workshops on renal disease on the BDA Paediatric Specialist Group Modular Courses – Clinical Dietetics in Infants and Children in 2015 and 2017
- Chronic kidney disease – mineral and bone disorder
转诊您的孩子至Shelley Cleghorn 医生