Mr M Zubair Tahir is a Consultant Paediatric Neurosurgeon who works in the Neurosurgery department. He is also an honorary senior lecturer at University College London Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health.
Mr Tahir believes in collaboration with other specialist teams and understands the importance of good communication skills to provide best treatment options to the children and their families.
“Giving a child the ability to reach his or her full potential is something that motivates my work every day” Mr M Zubair Tahir.
Conditions - low grade tumours, cortical dysplasia, mesial temporal sclerosis, hemispheric lesions.
Treatments – stereo-electroencephalography (EEG), lesionectomy, temporal lobectomy, disconnection procedures, vagus nerve stimulation (VNS).
Conditions - Chiari malformation, spinal dysraphism, cranio-vertebral junction anomalies, spinal cord tumours
Treatments - foramen magnum decompression, myelomeningocele repair (antenatal and postnatal), spinal cord lipoma surgery, tumour surgeries
Conditions - congenital and acquired hydrocephalus, arachnoid cysts.
Treatment - etreatment, shunt surgery, intracranial pressure (ICP) monitoring.
Fetal central nervous system anomalies and antenatal counselling.
Mr Tahir treats all paediatric patients, with a focus on minimally invasive surgery for epilepsy, spinal problems and hydrocephalus.
- FRCS (Neurosurgery)
- European Diploma (Paediatric Neurosurgery)
- Fellow European Board (Neurosurgery)
- Fellow World Federation Board (Neurosurgery)
- FCPS (Neurosurgery) College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
- MCPS (Surgery) College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
- MBBS (University of Punjab)
- Epilepsy surgery fellowship – Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- Paediatric neurosurgery fellowship – Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool
- Neurosurgery training – Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- AANS/CNS Joint Selection on Paediatric Neurosurgery
- World Spinal Column Society
- Outstanding performance award in European Neurosurgery examination
- Excellence in research award by Aga Khan University
- Best surgery resident award by Aga Khan University Hospital
- A. Raja Young Asian Neurosurgeon Award by Asian Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Codman DePuy Spine travelling scholarship by World Federation of Neurosurgical societies
Mr Tahir's research interests include surgery for epilepsy, management of paediatric head injury and spinal dysraphism.
News & Publications
Tan, R.M., Ganau, M., Jeelani, N.U., Tahir, Z., Mankad, K., Kachramanoglou, C., Prabhakar, P., Goulden, N., Samarasinghe, S., 2016. Central nervous system aspergillosis resembling haemorrhagic brain infarct in a paediatric leukaemia patient. Br J Haematol.
Akhtar, S., Azeem, A., Shamim, M.S., Tahir, M.Z., 2016. Composite split cord malformation associated with dermal sinus tract, dermoid cyst, and epidural abscess: A case report and review of literature. Surg Neurol Int. 7(43).
Tahir. M.Z., Sobani, Z.A., Murtaza, M., Enam, S.A., 2016. Long-tunneled versus short-tunneled external ventricular drainage: Prospective experience from a developing country. Asian J Neurosurg. 11(2) pp. 114-7.
Siddiqui, U.T., Tahir, M.Z., Shamim, M.S., Enam, S.A., 2015. Clinical outcome and cost effectiveness of early tracheostomy in isolated severe head injury patients. Surg Neurol Int. 6 pp. 65-76.
Khan, S.A. Shallwani, H. Shamim, M.S., Murtaza, G., Enam, S.A., Qureshi, R.O., Tahir, M.Z., 2014. Predictors of poor outcome of decompressive craniectomy in pediatric patients with severe traumatic brain injury: a retrospective single center study from Pakistan. Childs Nerv Syst. 30 (2) pp. 227-281.
Tahir, M.Z., Shamim, M.S., Sobani, Z.A., Zagar, S.N., Qadeer, M., Bari, M.E., 2013. Safety of untreated autologous cranioplasty after extracorporeal storage at -26 degree Celsius. Br J Neurosrug. 27(4) pp. 379-82.
Bashir M.U., Tahir M.Z., Bari, E., Mumtaz, S., 2013. Craniocerebral injuries in war against terrorism --- contemporary series from Pakistan. Chin J Traumatol. 16(3) pp. 149-57.
Khan, M.B., Soares, D., Tahir, M.Z., Kumar, R., Minhas, K., Bari, M.E., 2013. Melanotic neuroectodermal tumour of infancy: a rare brain tumour of childhood. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 23(5) pp. 367-9.
Waqas, M., Ali, N.S., Tahir, M.Z., Enam, S.A., Ud-din, Z., Ikram, M., 2012. Giant cell reparative granuloma of Temporal bone: Case report of a 62-year old male. Journal of Cranio-Maxillary Disease. 1(2) pp. 137-140.
Tahir, M.Z., Sobani, Z.A., Quadri, S.A., Ahmed, S.N., Sheernai, M., Siddiqui, B., Boling, W.W., Enam, S.A., 2012. Establishment of a comprehensive epilepsy center in Pakistan: initial experiences, results and reflections. Epilepsy Res Treat.
Refer your child to Mr M Zubair Tahir
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.