Mr Nagarajan Muthialu is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon, with special interest in paediatric thoracic, tracheal surgery and transplant programme for heart and lungs. He received his surgical and cardiothoracic training in India before obtaining his specialist training in the UK.
Mr Muthialu is currently a Clinical Lead on paediatric thoracic surgery, lung transplantation and surgical Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) program. He also leads the surgical programme for all airway surgery in children at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH).
Mr Muthialu’s vast experience in paediatric thoracic and airway surgery has attracted wider referrals, from all over UK and Europe, and even some of the international centres across the Atlantic Ocean. He has travelled extensively, to operate in some European countries and also to deliver invited lectures in these areas.
- Paediatric and neonatal cardiac surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Tracheal surgery and reconstruction
- Paediatric Lung and heart transplantation
- Mechanical assist devices for supporting the heart, and as a bridge to transplantation
- Paediatric thoracic surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Tracheal surgery
- Lung transplantation in infants
- Bangalore University, India
- MS (Gen)
- DNB (Gen)
- DNB (CTVS)
- FRCSEd (CTH)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (International Member)
- European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons (Life Member)
- Asian Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (Life Member)
- World Society of Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery (Founder Member)
- Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons, India (Life Member)
- Scandinavian Society for Research in Cardiothoracic Surgery (Life Member)
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Network (CTSNET)
- Member, The Ross Community
- Risk assessment of paediatric cardiac surgery – NIHR funded project for risk categorization of paediatric and congenital cardiac surgery in UK
- Change in lung volume following thoracic wall reconstruction – computerized risk model evaluating chest wall changes and consequent lung volume changes following reconstructive surgery in chest wall defects and Jeune syndrome
- Rebuilding the human thymus to create a tolerising system for allogeneic tissue and organ transplantation
- Heart and lung donation after circulatory death (DCD) in children
- Complex airway surgery – including those with single lung: various research elements ongoing simultaneously in this area
- Thoracic surgery for skeletal dysplasia, especially those with asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy (ATD, and some of Jeune syndrome)
News & Publications
Elliott MJ, Butler CR, Varanou-Jenkins A, Partington L, Carvalho C, Samuel E, Crowley C, Lange P, Hamilton NJ, Hynds RE, Ansari T, Sibbons P, Fierens A, McLaren C, Roebuck D, Wallis C, Muthialu N, Hewitt R, Crabbe D, Janes SM, De Coppi P, Lowdell mW, Birchall MA. 2017. Tracheal replacement therapy with a stem cell-seeded graft: lessons from compassionate use application of a GMP-compliant tissue-engineered medicine. Stem Cells Transl Med. 6 pp. 1458-64.
Tran PK, Tsang VT, Cornejo PR, Torii R, Dominguez T, Tran-Lundmark K, Hsia TY, Hughes M, Muthialu N, Kostolny M. 2017. Midterm results of the Ross procedure in children: an appraisal of the subannular implantation with interrupted sutures technique. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 28.
Low G, Aurora P, Gaze M, Muthialu N, Spencer H. 2017. The safety and efficacy of total lymphoid irradiation in paediatric patients with progressive chronic lung allograft dysfunction. J Heart Lung Transpl.
Pabary R, Aurora P, Curry J, Hulsker C, Muthialu N, Spencer H. 2017. Nissen’s fundoplication is safe and prevents decrease in forced expiratory volume in one second in paediatric lung transplant patients. J Heart Lung Transpl.
Muthialu N. 2017. Morphological dilemma: anomalous pulmonary venous confluence or core triatriatum – does it matter? J Saud Heart Assn.
Muthialu N, Nakao M, Bezuska L, Marek J, Sullivan I, Kostolny M, Tsang V. 2016. Evaluation and risk stratification of concomitant cardiovascular procedures with slide tracheoplasty for combined cardiac and airway defects. World J Paed Cong Heart Surg. 7(4) pp 534.
Simmonds JD, Mustafa M, Fajardo Jaramillo DP, Bellsham-Revell HR, Marek J, Burch M, Tsang VT, Muthialu N. 2016. Successful orthotopic heart transplantation using a donor heart with ALCAPA. Pediatric Transplantation. 20 pp. 859-65.
Ramaswamy M, Vriesendorp M, McLaren C, Roebuck D, Hewitt R, Muthialu N, Elliott M. 2016. Complications of elective flexible bronchoscopy in children with tracheal abnormalities. Eur Resp J. 48.
Kavaliunaite E, Harris KA, Aurora P, Dixon G, Shingadia D, Muthialu N, Spencer H. 2016. Poor outcome following lung transplantation in CF patients infected with mycobacterium abscesses appears to be associated with two genetic clusters of mycobacterium abscesses subspecies abscesses. Eur Resp J. 48.
Muthialu N, Joshi S, Hoskote A, Bhole V. 2016. Rare cause of central cyanosis: Fistula between right pulmonary artery and left atrium. Interact Cardio Vasc Thorac Surg.
Refer your child to Mr Nagarajan Muthialu
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.