Professor Helen Cross OBE is The Prince of Wales’ Chair of Childhood Epilepsy and Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Neurology at University College London (UCL) Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, GOSH, and Young Epilepsy, Lingfield. She came to work at GOSH in 1990 and became a professor in 2007. She was recognised in 2015 for her services to childhood epilepsy with the Order of the British Empire (OBE).
She is currently Clinical Advisor to the Children’s Epilepsy Surgery Services (2012-present), is Chair of the Medicines for Children Research Network Neurosciences Clinical Study Group (2012-present), Chair of the Evidence Update of the NICE Guidelines for Epilepsy (2013) and was recently elected Secretary General of the International League Against Epilepsy to serve 2013-2017.
Professor Cross has published widely on seizure, neuropsychological and behavioural outcomes in children who have undergone surgical resection for treatment of their epilepsy. Professor Cross is on the Editorial Board of Epileptic Disorders, Epilepsy Research, Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology and the European Journal of Paediatric Neurology.
I’ve been privileged to be involved in epilepsy at a time of huge change, at a time where we have discovered more and more and we’re still able to do more and more. I feel very honoured and privileged.
• Childhood epilepsy
• Birmingham University
• Trained in paediatrics in Birmingham
• Paediatric neurology and PhD in London
• Chair of the ILAE Commission for Paediatrics (2005 – 2009)
• Assistant Secretary to the Board of the European Paediatric Neurology Society (2005 – 2009)
• Chair of the Trustees of Epilepsy Research UK (2005 – 2011)
• President of the British Paediatric Neurology Association (2008 – 2011)
• Clinical Advisor to the update of the NICE guidelines on diagnosis and management of the epilepsies in adults and children (2009 – 2012)
• International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Commission for European Affairs, (2009 – 2013)
• ILAE Co-Chair of the sub-committee for ILAE Task Force for Global Outreach (2009 – 2013)
• Chair of the Task Force for Paediatric Epilepsy Surgery (2001-2013)
• Chair of the Medicines for Children Research Network Neurosciences Clinical Study Group
• Chair of the Evidence Update of the NICE Guidelines for Epilepsy
• Secretary General of the ILAE (2013-2017)
• Prof Cross’ early research was into improving imaging techniques to determine areas of likely seizure onset in children with drug resistant focal epilepsy and has developed an epilepsy surgery programme based on her research
• Her more recent research has focused on improving outcomes for children with early onset epilepsy
• The examination mechanisms of cognitive impairment – in particular examining the relationship of sleep to memory consolidation
News & Publications
Cross, J. H., 2015. Children with poor adherence to antiepileptic drugs during the first 6 months of treatment are less likely to be seizure free after 4 years. Evid Based Nurs. 18(2) pp. 54.
Cross, J. H., 2015. Epilepsy (generalised seizures). BMJ clinical evidence.
Cross, J. H., 2015. Seizures associated with hypoglycaemia and subsequent epilepsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 57(2) pp. 117-118.
Schoeler, N., Cross, J.H., Leu, C., Sander, J.W., & Sisodiya, S., 2014. A genetic basis for response to the ketogenic diet. Epilepsia. 55 pp. 35-36.
Schoeler, N. E., Sander, J. W., Sisodiya, S. M., Cross, H. J., MacDonald, L., Horne, R., & Champion, H., 2014. Assessing parent’s attitudes towards detogenic dietary therapies. Epilepsy and Behavior. 39 pp. 1-5.
Skirrow, C., Cross, J.H., Cormack, F., Harrison, S., Vargha-Khadem, F., Baldeweg, T., 2014. Duration of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy in Children is Associated with Loss of Hippocampal Tissue and Memory Dysfunction. Epilepsia. 55 pp 154-155.
Ryvlin, P., Cross, J.H., Rheims, S., 2014. Epilepsy surgery in children and adults. Lancet Neurol. 13(11) pp. 1114-1126.
Schoeler, N. E., Wood, S., Aldridge, V., Sander, J.W., Cross J.H., Sisodiya, S. M., 2014. Ketogenic dietary therapies for adults with epilepsy: feasibility and classification of response. Epilepsy Behav. 37 pp. 77-81.
Cross, J.H., Auvin, s., Patten, A., Giorgi, L., 2014. Safety and tolerability of zonisamide in paediatric patients with epilepsy. Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 18(6) pp 747-758.
Wilmshurst, J. M., Berg, A. T., Lagae, L., Newton, C. R., Cross, J. H., 2014. The challenges and innovations for therapy in children with epilepsy. Nat Rev Neurol. 10(5) pp. 249-260.
Refer your child to Prof Helen Cross
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.