Professor Mehul Dattani is Professor of Paediatric Endocrinology based at the University College London (UCL) Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health (ICH), and Head of Clinical Service in Endocrinology at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH). He has an active clinical practice in paediatric and adolescent Endocrinology at GOSH and University College London Hospitals (UCLH). He is Head of the Genetics and Epigenetics in Health and Disease (GEHD) Section within the Genetics and Genomic Medicine Programme at ICH. He recently completed a three-year term as Chair of the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, and is current Chair of the Programme Organizing Committee and member of the Council of the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology (ESPE). He has recently been elected President of the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology in 2020.
Professor Dattani has established a laboratory group investigating the molecular basis of hypothalamo-pituitary disease at UCL. He has identified novel genes implicated in hypothalamo-pituitary development in patients with congenital hypopituitarism, and more recently has worked on understanding the molecular basis of a paediatric brain tumour called adamantinomatous craniopharyngioma. His work has been recognised nationally and internationally with publications in a number of high impact journals and national and international awards for the work, including the Donald Paterson prize awarded by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health and the Henning Andersen prize awarded by ESPE. He sits on numerous advisory boards and editorial boards of journals. Professor Dattani’s research group is currently studying the genetic basis of growth disorders. He also has an interest in a number of rare endocrine disorders, usually due to disordered development of endocrine organs.
- General paediatric endocrinology
- Growth: short stature, tall stature, growth hormone deficiency
- Pituitary disorders: hypopituitarism, septo-optic dysplasia
- Disorders of sex development
- Adrenal disorders: CAH, hypoadrenalism, Cushing syndrome
- Disorder of pubertal development: delayed and precocious puberty, polycystic ovary syndrome
- Disorders of calcium homeostasis
- Rare diabetes syndromes
- Rare obesity syndromes
- Thyroid disorders: hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism
- Hypopituitarism including septo-optic dysplasia
- Disorders of growth
- Disorders of sex development
- Unusual thyroid disorders
- Hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism
- Qualified in medicine at Middlesex Hospital, London
- 1984 Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (London)
- 1987 Diploma in Child Health (; London)
- 1988 Membership of Royal College of Physicians (London)
- 1994 Doctor of Medicine (MD; London)
- 1998 CCST in Paediatrics (Endocrinology)
- 1999 Fellowship of Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (London)
- 2000 Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians (London)
- Post-doctoral experience at the Medical Research Council (MRC) National Institute for Medical Research where he identified the first gene to be associated with septo-optic dysplasia
- Chair of the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes (BSPED)
- Chair of the Programme Organizing Committee of the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology (ESPE)
- Member of ESPE Council
- Examiner to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Member of the Medical Research Council College of Experts
- American Endocrine Society
- Society for Endocrinology
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Academic Paediatrics Association
- Growth Hormone Research Society
- European Society for Endocrinology
- European Neuroendocrine Association
Editorial Boards membership:
- Member of Editorial Board for Clinical Endocrinology (2004-2007). This is the premier British Clinical Endocrinology Journal
- Member of Editorial Board for Hormone Research (2007 onwards). This is the journal of the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology
- Member of the Editorial Board for Journal of Paediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism (2007 onwards)
- Member of the Editorial Board for International Journal of Paediatric Endocrinology 2009 -2014
- Associate Editor “Growth and Growth factors”, Yearbook of Paediatric Endocrinology 2007-current
- Appointed as a Non-Executive Director of The Company of Biologists Limited 2007 - 2013
- Appointed to the Advisory Board of Disease Models and Mechanisms 2007 - 2013
- Associate Editor Hormone Research – lead Editor for Mini-Reviews (2008 -2012), currently an AE
- Member of the editorial board for Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2008 - 2012). This is the premier international journal of clinical endocrinology
- Member of Editorial Board of Frontiers in Paediatric Endocrinology (2010 onwards)
- Specialty Chief Editor of Frontiers in Genomic Endocrinology (2010-3)
- Advisory Board to Nature Reviews in Endocrinology (2012 onwards)
- Senior Editor Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Case Reports (2013 onwards)
- Molecular basis of growth disorders
- Development of the pituitary gland
- Genotype-phenotype correlations in Congenital Hypopituitarism
- Molecular basis of delayed puberty including hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism
- Molecular basis of rare endocrine disorders
- Clinical studies in growth hormone deficiency
Gaston-Massuet, C., McCabe, M.J., Scagliotti, V., Young, R.M., Carreno, G., Gregory, L.C., Jayakody, S.A., Pozzi, S., Gualtieri, A., Basu, B., Koniordou, M., Wu, C.I., Bancalari, R.E., Rahikkala, E., Veijola, R., Lopponen, T., Graziola, F., Turton, J., Signore, M., Mousavy Gharavy, S.N., Charolidi, N., Sokol, S.Y., Andoniadou, C.L., Wilson, S.W., Merrill, B.J., Dattani, M.T., Martinez-Barbera, J.P., 2016. Transcription factor 7-like 1 is involved in hypothalamo-pituitary axis development in mice and humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108(28): 11482-7.
Boehm, U., Bouloux, P.M., Dattani, M., de Roux, N., Dodé, C., Dunkel, L., Dwyer, A.A., Giacobini, P., Hardelin, J.P., Juul, A., Maghnie, M., Pitteloud, N., Prevot, V., Raivio, T., Tena-Sempere, M., Quinton, R., Young, J., 2015. Congenital hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism:pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Nature Reviews Endocrinology Consensus Statement. 11(9) pp. 547-64.
Gregory, L.C., Humayun,K.N., Turton,J.P.G., McCabe,M.J., Rhodes, S.J., Dattani,M.T., 2015. Novel lethal form of congenital hypopituitarism associated with the first recessive LHX4 mutation. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 100(6) pp. 2158-2164.
Amores-Hernandez, I., Inwald, D. P., Besser, R. E. J., & Dattani, M. T. 2015. A 12-year-old child with fever, headache, shock, and coma. The Lancet, 385 (9967) pp. 576.
Bochukova E, Schoenmakers N, Agostini N, Schoenmakers E, Rajanayagam O, Keogh JM, Henning E, Reinemund J, Gevers E, Sarri M, Downes K, Offiah A, Albanese A, Halsall D, Schwabe J, Bain M, Lindley K, Muntoni F, Vargha Khadem F, Dattani M, Farooqi S, Gurnell M, and Chatterjee K (2012) A mutation in the thyroid hormone receptor alpha gene. New England Journal of Medicine 366(3): 243-9.
Sun Y, Bak B, Schoenmakers N, van Trotsenburg ASP, Oostdijk W, Voshol P, Cambridge E, White JK, le Tissier P, Mousavy Gharavy SN, Martinez-Barbera JP, Stokvis-Brantsma WH, Vulsma T, Kempers MJ, Persani L, Campi I, Bonomi M, Beck-Peccoz P, Zhu H, Davis TME, Hokken-Koelega ACS, Del Blanco DG, Rangasami JJ , Ruivenkamp CAL, Laros JFL, Kriek M, Kant SG, Bosch CAJ, Biermasz NR, Appelman-Dijkstra NM, Corssmit EP, Hovens GCJ, Pereira AM, den Dunnen JT, Breuning MH, Hennekam RC, Chatterjee KK*, Dattani MT*, Wit JM*, Bernard DJ* (*Co-Senior Authors) (2012) Loss-of-function mutations in IGSF1 cause a novel X-linked syndrome of central hypothyroidism and testicular enlargement Nature Genetics 44(12): 1375-1381.
Kelberman D, Rizzoti K, Lovell-Badge R, Robinson ICAF, Dattani MT (2009) Genetic Regulation of pituitary gland development in human and mouse. Endocrine Reviews 30(7): 790-829.
Kelberman D, Rizzoti K, Avilion A, Bitner-Glindzicz M, Cianfarani S, Collins J, Chong WK, Kirk JM, Achermann JC, Ross R, Carmignac D, Lovell-Badge R, Robinson IC, Dattani MT (2006) Mutations within Sox2/SOX2 are associated with abnormalities in the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in mice and humans. J Clin Invest 116 (9):2442-2455.
Carvalho LR, Woods KS, Mendonca BB, Marcal N, Zamparini AL, Stifani S, Brickman JM, Arnhold IJP, Dattani MT (2003) A homozygous mutation (I26T) in the engrailed homology domain of HESX1 associated with evolving hypopituitarism due to impaired repressor-corepressor interaction. Journal of Clinical Investigation 112 (8):1192-1201.
Dattani MT, Martinez-Barbera JP, Thomas PQ, Brickman JB, Gupta R, Martensson I, Toresson H, Fox M, Wales JKH, Hindmarsh PC, Krauss S, Beddington RSP, Robinson ICAF (1998) Mutations in the homeobox gene HESX1/Hesx1 associated with septo-optic dysplasia in human and mouse. Nature Genetics 19(2): 125-133.
转诊您的孩子至Mehul Dattani 教授