• Heart murmurs, syncope, palpitations and chest pain
• Congenital heart disease, in particular hypoplastic left heart syndrome
• Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
• Postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS)
• Exercise physiology, testing and cardiac screening
• Medical training at Bologna, Italy
• PhD in the pathophysiology of heart failure in patients with congenital heart disease (Bologna, Italy)
• Completed specialist training in paediatric cardiology at the University of Bologna, and at the University of California, San Francisco
• Professor (Italian Ministry of Education, Research and University)
• European Society of Cardiology
• European Society for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Usefulness of exercise testing to predict the risk of children and adolescents with congenital heart disease
- The genetic causes of congenital heart disease (in collaboration with USA centres)
- Fontan operation
- Dr. Giardini is a reviewer for the medical journals New England Journal of Medicine, Circulation and Chest. He has published over 100 manuscripts in international peer reviewed journals.
News & Publications
Biglino, G., Capelli, C., Wray, J., Schievano, S., Leaver, L.K., Khambadkone, S., Giardini, A., Derrick, G., Jones, A., Taylor, A.M., 2015. 3D-manufactured patient-specific models of congenital heart defects for communication in clinical practice: feasibility and acceptability. BMJ Open. 5(4).
Meoli, A., Cutrì, E., Krishnamurthy, A., Dubini, G., Migliavacca, F., Hsia, T.Y., Pennati, G; Modeling of Congenital Hearts Alliance (MOCHA) Group, Taylor, A., Giardini, A., Khambadkone, S., Schievano, S., de Leval, M., Hsia, T.Y., Bove, E., Dorfman, A., Baker, G.H., Hlavacek, A., Migliavacca, F., Pennati, G., Dubini, G., Marsden, A., Feinstein, J., Vignon-Clementel, I., Figliola, R., McGregor, J., 2015. A multiscale model for the study of cardiac biomechanics in single-ventricle surgeries: a clinical case. Interface Focus. 5(2).
Ibrahim, M., Tsang, V.T., Caruana, M., Hughes, M.L., Jenkyns, S., Perdreau, E., Giardini, A., Marek, J., 2015. Cone reconstruction for Ebstein's anomaly: Patient outcomes, biventricular function, and cardiopulmonary exercise capacity. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 149(4) pp 1144-50.
Kung, E., Marsden, A., Baker, C., Giardini, A., Figliola, R., Hsia, T.Y., 2015. Does TCPC power loss really affect exercise capacity? Heart. 101(7) p 575.
Salam, S., Dominguez, T., Tsang, V., Giardini, A., 2015. Longer hospital stay after Fontan completion in the November to March period. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 47(2) pp. 262-8.
Lurz, P., Riede, F.T., Taylor, A.M., Wagner, R., Nordmeyer, J., Khambadkone, S., Kinzel, P., Derrick, G., Schuler, G., Bonhoeffer, P., Giardini, A., Daehnert, I., 2014 Impact of percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation for right ventricular outflow tract dysfunction on exercise recovery kinetics. Int J Cardiol. 177(1) pp. 276-80.
Kung, E., Perry, J.C., Davis, C., Migliavacca, F., Pennati, G., Giardini, A., Hsia, T.Y., Marsden, A., 2014. Computational Modeling of Pathophysiologic Responses to Exercise in Fontan Patients. Ann Biomed Eng.
Biglino, G., Ntsinjana, H., Plymen, C., Tann, O., Giardini, A., Derrick, G., Parker, K.H., Tsang, V., Schievano, S., Taylor, A.M., 2014. Ventriculovascular interactions late after atrial and arterial repair of transposition of the great arteries. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 148(6) pp. 2627-33.
Giardini, A., Cervi, E., 2014. Asymptomatic adults with mild/moderate isolated native pulmonary valve stenosis are in need of treatment… but not the kind you are thinking of! Heart. 100(17) pp. 1313-4.
Biglino, G., Corsini, C., Schievano, S., Dubini, G., Giardini, A., Hsia, T.Y., Pennati, G., Taylor, A.M; Mocha Collaborative Group. 2014. Computational models of aortic coarctation in hypoplastic left heart syndrome: considerations on validation of a detailed 3D model. Int J Artif Organs. 37(5) pp. 371-81.
Refer your child to Dr Alessandro Giardini
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.